Sunday, August 19, 2007

The grapes in our garden are turning dark red and we can imagine what a stunning site it will be when the grapes are ripe in the whole town of Kareli. Our family has a grape stomping bath - it looks rather like a deep sitzbath - and they put on special boots for grape-stomping. Apparently this is the busiest time of the year for them, because, apart from the grape stomping, there are several foods to be preserved for the winter. Zoia, the housemother, makes grape juice, sour plum sauce, fig jam, and various other preserves, and apples and potatoes are stored in the cellar. Koba, our host father, produces 500 litres of wine (red and white). This is his estimate. Some of the wine goes to family members in Tbilisi, but most stays at home.

1 comment:

susan said...

I have been having trouble getting onto your blog. It's either my poor memory or . . . Let's not go there.
I am sorry I missed your phone call. We missed your presence. I think Mack looks like Oscar. So does my doctor. He is adorable and so far very easy going. Chelsea is tired as expected. Sam is happy and excited. At least he appears that way to me. I am grateful that all is well.
Oscar likes to look at photos and I am sure he will recognize you when you return. He is energetic and cheerful but can throw on hellofa tantrum which also can end abruptly if something interests him.
We miss you. It was nice to see that photo of Gill smiling as she does. Bob, how about 1 curmudgeonly photo of you. Of course it could be you giggling as I know you do.
FT is good. The garden had its high points. Is there some way to send photos to you on this blog?

Love, Susan