Thursday, April 24, 2008

We had a conference devoted to grant application writing in mid-April. A number of Peace Corps folks were there including the Country Director who brought me a huge birthday cake that would have been over-the-top at a wedding! When we got home, Marina, our host-mother had prepared a big supra for us and about ten Peace Corps volunteers came to the party. Marina had put out the best china, cutlery and glasses. Luckily there were no breakages!


When I got back to school a few days later, the teachers sang “Happy Birthday” for me and gave me presents. These are people who earn very little and many of whose husbands have no job. Later, two classes also sang “Happy Birthday”. It was embarrassing, but very touching. I also have two birthday cards made by the children.
Suddenly, spring is over and the weather has become very warm.

No comments: